How Loud is Pickleball?

How Loud is Pickleball?

In the News

  • Exactly how loud is a pickleball game? (The Vox)
    • The Vox shares how pickleball went from Boomers to booming — literally. The noise of a pickleball bouncing on a paddle is around 80 decibels, the inflection point where sound starts to become irritating. We think it’s the sound of music 🤷‍♀️
  • Pickleball ranks #9 on Ad Age’s Marketers of the Year (AdAge)
    • Ahead of Vuori and behind Liquid Death, pickleball claimed the #9 spot on this year’s Ad Age’s Marketers of the Year. We’re not surprised considering celebs like LeBron, Stephen Colbert, and Naomi Osaka are putting their bread behind the pickle.
  • Listen to how and why we launched PCKL (Third Shot Podcast)
    • Our founder at PCKL, Mike Gottfried, joins the Third Shot podcast to share what it takes to build a pickleball company. You’ll hear how from day one, we’ve been obsessed with making pickleball an approachable sport for people like you.
  • The Year of the Dink (The Ringer)
    • From celebrity endorsements to professional league drama and tennis tension, The Ringer covers the electric year for pickleball.
  • Pickleball players lose turf war to kids in Manhattan (New York Post)
    • Seravalli Playground designated two courts for pickleball. That wasn’t enough. Being the resourceful people picklers are, players used portable nets to expand the space into 12 courts. What ensued was a turf war for playground space between children and adults.

    Professional Updates

    • New year, pretty much the same rules (The Pickler)
      • 2023 rules are out! The one-handed spin serve is officially (and finally) banned. 🙌 99% of the pickleball community rejoices 🙌 The other 1% will have to learn to earn points the old-fashioned way. Other rule changes are centered around petty professional stuff like replays, referees, and color of clothing.
    • Meet the 12 teams competing in the MLP next year (The Dink
      • The innovative league with big-wig investors like Tom Brady and Gary Vee held their draft last week, and boy, are we in for some stellar matchups. Anna Leigh Waters was the first pick — duh. Ben Johns and Tyler Loong are teaming up, and the Newman siblings are at it again.
    • A new league for players 50+ (Bloomberg)
      • Get ready to add another acronym to your pickleball vernacular — the National Pickleball League (NPL) is designed for players aged 50 and over. Just because you’re a half century old doesn’t mean you can’t become Anna Leigh Waters.
    • The PPA caps off the year with tennis stars (PPA)
      • The PPA wrapped up its 2022 tour in Vegas, where four elite tennis players teamed up with the best in pickleball for a round-robin tournament. Team Sam Querrey, consisting of Riley Newman, Allyce Jones, Megan Dizon, Collin Johns, Lucy Kovalova, and Pat Smith took home the championship, which aired on ABC. 


    • These 5 Pickleball Beginner's Mistakes Are Ruining Your Game (YouTube)
      • Kyle Kostuza spent the past year becoming a professional pickleball player. He just launched a YouTube channel to share his learnings along the way. Kyle’s debut video adresses serving mistakes, driving too much, sporadic movement, the downfall of big swings, and being close minded.
    • How to get your family and friends into pickleball this holiday season (PCKL)
      • Many people don’t know what to do with their free time when the gifts are all opened. There are only so many college football bowl games a person can take. Here’s our 4-step process to getting your community into pickleball this holiday season. 

    Thanks for reading the first edition of PCKL 11. You can help us make it even better by hitting reply and letting us know what you want to see in your inbox. 

    — The PCKL Team